Sony Xperia Ear Review

Sony Xperia Ear Review Darryl Linington
Design
Build Quality
Audio Quality
Lasting Appeal
8.5
User Rating: 8.9 (1 votes)

We have used Sony’s latest innovation the “Xperia Ear” for quite some time now, and have found it to be an excellent and rather beneficial piece of tech. In today’s technology-driven age, we are connected to a multitude of devices. We carry smartphones, wear smart watches, and use tablet devices on a day-to-day basis. While we are so connected, as well as glued to the screen of our smart device, we tend to miss what is happening in the world around us. This is where the Xperia Ear is set to change things.

Designed to fit snug into either your left or right ear, the Xperia Ear is a device that not only acts as a Bluetooth headset for receiving calls, but it also comes packed with a wealth of features and benefits that will keep your hands and eyes off your mobile phone… essentially making it your very own personal assistant.

Xperia Ear

Once paired to any mobile device, as well as the Xperia Ear app, the Xperia Ear activates – this is achieved by an integrated proximity sensor, gyroscope and accelerometer – and begins to relay via voice prompts important information such as the latest news headlines as well as weather reports. The device also informs the wearer of what day it is as well as the what the local time is. These are not the only features as the Xperia Ear also has the ability to read out WhatsApp messages, text messages, as well as emails to the user.

While having a device read out messages to you is rather convenient, the Xperia Ear takes technology one step further and allows the user to reply to messages via voice. Once the user has spoken their message, the device will then play it back in order to confirm that it has picked up the correct words. Once the user approves the outgoing message, the device transcribes the voice into text and sends it via the platform the message was received upon. We tried this out on WhatsApp, Facebook and, Email and it worked perfectly around about 90 percent of the time. The other 10 percent of the time the device failed to pick up what was being said.

The Xperia Ear also features the ability to search the web, via Wikipedia, for information by simply using a voice command. Additional voice commands allow the user to schedule an appointment, set an alarm, find their lost phone, call a contact, start navigation, play music, set a timer, or even go as far as finding their location… which is rather impressive for a device of its size and shape.

Apart from all its features, the Xperia Ear is a device that is not only an eye-catcher, but it is also comfortable to wear. Granted, it takes a little getting used to; however, after wearing the device for a week we barely even noticed it was there… apart from when it relayed messages to us.

While we have praised the device so far, it does have a bit of an Achilles Heel. While the device promotes the user to use their mobile device less, it does need to be connected to it at all times. Additionally, a user cannot venture too far from their device, maybe a few metres, without the Xperia Ear unpairing or suffering from signal degradation.

Conclusion:
The Xperia Ear is a remarkable piece of tech. Not only does it have a great build quality, but it is attractive in design as well. Apart from its design, it is also feature rich and comfortable too. In addition to these highlights, the sound quality of the device is absolutely superb. While these are the major high points, on the down side you will need to keep the device close to your phone in order to avoid signal degradation.

Overall, the Xperia Ear is definitely the perfect personal assistant; however, it does come in at a price of R2499 from TakeAlot – which is the only retailer selling the device at the moment.

Reviewed by: Darryl Linington
Contact:
Darryl@techitout.co.za
Follow @TechITOutMedia on Twitter
Follow @DarrylLinington on Twitter

Editor of Tech IT Out. Former radio host of Cliffcentral.com. Former Editor of IT News Africa and ITF Gaming. All round techie, gamer and entrepreneur. For Editorial Enquiries Contact: Darryl@techitout.co.za or via +27788021400.